March 04, 2016

New Doctor Who Book!


Saturday Night Monsters is a compilation of fan written articles and reviews about Doctor Who originally published in the zines Faze and This Way Up. Covering the whole span of the series from the early days right up to recent episodes, this 260 page volume is packed with comment, analysis, opinion and flapdoodle about different aspects of the programme. It builds into a complete hovercraft and It is a book. You'll love it!
Features include: The triumphant 2005 Return ,The 1985-6 Cancellation Crisis,Hartnell’s Historical Stories, The Philip Hinchliffe Era,The stories of Robert Holmes & Robert Sloman, Season 21,The road from Survival to the TV Movies and more… 
Reviews include: Talons of Weng Chiang, The Dalek Masterplan, Spearhead from Space, The Macra Terror, The End of Time, The War Machines, Dalek, Remembrance of the Daleks, Blink, The Tenth Planet,  The Name of the Doctor, Logopolis, Tomb of the Cybermen, School Reunion, Pyramids of Mars, Human Nature / Family of Blood, The Dominators, Day of the Doctor, City of Death, Amy’s Choice, Earthshock, Day of the Daleks, The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon, Carnival of Monsters, Trial of a Time Lord,  The Android Invasion,  Deep Breath,  Castrovalva,  The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances, Death to the Daleks, Horror of Fang Rock,  Vengeance on Varos, Dragonfire, The Three Doctors,  The TV Movie, The Doctor’s Wife,  The Ice Warriors, Heaven Sent, Turn Left, Web of Fear, The Stolen Earth / Journey’s End and many more...
Writers: Tim Worthington  David Rolinson, Sean Alexander, Matthew Kilburn, Daniel O’Mahony, Colin Brockhurst, John Connors, Ashley Stewart, Roger Jones, Chris Orton, Adam Povey.
The book is available from Amazon in either print or electronic form. The links below should take you to the very actual place where you can buy it.
For more info about the book including excerpts check out the Saturday Night Monsters Book page via the tab at the top of the blog.

12 comments:

  1. Will there be complimentary copies for the contributors, as with the This Way Up book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, this is me from the future replying ridiculously tardily to tell you that there will be copies for contributors. Not sure how complimentary they'll be. Of course you will know this now as you received it last week rendering this comment pointless.

      Delete
  2. I've just ordered the paperback. There was also a This Way Up book? Tell me more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this book leads to a multivolume series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that though there is still lots of good stuff from the fanzine days lurking about. Perhaps some sort of third volume mught be possible...

      Delete
    2. Between the blogs and all the zines you've put out, there must be tons of stuff that you haven't even touched yet. Enough for several more books, at least. Get to it, young man!

      Delete
    3. Some of the material is very of its time though. Or just too basic for today. Time was you could get away with all sorts in fanzines but I think readers today demand a little more rigour and- gasp- research from writers. If you look at the big fanzines of the 1980s they are quite basic in terms of articles, basically just reviews. Nowadays you have to add a bit more.

      Delete
  4. Just bought the Kindle version as well, so I can read it while I'm travelling. Don't want to wear out the paperback version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found Tomorrow Is Now: The Best of This Way Up on Amazon. Bought this in both paperback and Kindle as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my ideal reader!! Why can't everyone be like this eh?

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha! Richard Farrell will tell you that I like to support fanzines and related products by buying multiple copies and passing the extra ones to friends as pressies. So I have no problem doing the same for you. I've even got both print books on my list for Christmas/birthday presents for certain friends that I know will really appreciate them (basically the same small group of mates that I buy the extra copies of Andersonic and Plaything of Sutekh for), so I'll probably hit Amazon for more copies of both books at some point.

      I'm really enjoying both books right now, reading both at the same time, jumping from one to the other. For reading at home, an old bookhound like me will always prefer the physical printed books. But the Kindle versions are perfect for when I go to my sister's and don't want to drag a stack of books with me. I definitely recommend getting the Kindle versions as well, for anyone who has such a device and likes to read on the move. They're at a great price, too, considerably cheaper than the print books, which is as it should be. I've often seen Kindle versions of other books at the same price or even more expensive than the print book, a practice which I find faintly obscene as you don't even receive a physical book and there are no printing or shipping charges involved. Some publishers are right rip-off artists, IMHO. I've never paid more than a fiver for an ebook. Any higher than that and I'll always hunt for the printed book instead. At the very reasonable prices that you set for both print and Kindle versions, it was a no-brainer for me to buy both. :)

      Delete
  6. Amazon does have minimum prices but for an ebook they are obviously lower as no printing or mailing is involved. With a book like this, material already released I will go for a low price. For my novels the prices may be higher as they are the result of creative sweat and effort! Not that I make much from them anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.